Sunday, February 13, 2011

One Step at a Time


The purpose of this blog is not, primarily, to inform, for I’m sure most – if not all – of what I have to “tell” is pretty common knowledge (or at least easy to find elsewhere).  I’m sure you’ll all agree there’s a big difference between knowing something and doing it.  So the purpose of this blog is to remind, motivate and encourage people who, like me, want to do good things for their minds and bodies and want peers to share the experience with! 
With that said, I will begin with where I started.  Perhaps it will be a good starting point for you!  The first thing I did that began this current journey of losing weight and feeling better was I found a web site that counted calories for me.  I wanted to know what I was eating.  I am not promoting perfect adherence to calorie counting.  But I found it very helpful to get a good idea about what is in various foods I was eating and how much someone of my age, weight and activity level should healthfully eat when trying to lose a little weight.  I recommend livestrong.com.  They have a free service that calculates the amount of calories you should eat depending on how fast you want to lose or gain weight and a very easy-to-use program for tracking what you're eating.
The next thing I did was I chose a work out DVD and tool kit by Bally’s and decided to make myself do it!  You can find a wide selection at Walmart.  It only cost about $30-40, and it got me excited and feeling confident I could do this thing!  Never mind it took me several months to actually open the thing and start using it!  Ha ha ha!
What's your biggest weakness?  This time mine was eating way too much junk food for comfort.  When I started working out, the exercise replaced my need for comfort eating.  I was showing healthy love for myself by exercising and my mind recognized it, which made it easy to stop eating junk.  Could it work for you too?  Dunno!  I'd love to find out.  
If even the cost of the DVD/workout tool kit is too much, something else I did that can be free to you is following the simple interval workout recommended by a fitness instructor Dr. Mercola promotes.  It's very simple and can be used with any cardio exercise that is workable for you.  Take, for example, running/jogging.  
This is how it works:  Jog for about 5 minutes to warm up.  Then, run as fast as you can for 30 seconds.  Next, continue jogging at a steady but less intense pace for 90 seconds.  Then repeat 7 more times.  By the last couple sets, your heart rate should reach the desired bpm, which is what will trigger your body to respond to the exercise.  Best part is, it can take less than thirty minutes...and it was free!  Can you do that twice a week?  If you try it, tell me about it!
Next...meals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment