Thursday, April 4, 2013

A to Z Blog Challenge - D is for Dreams


D is for Dreams

What are your first thoughts when you read that word? Do you think of your most profound wishes coming true? Do you think of nightmares? Do you think of mystical interpretations?

Where will I go with this topic? I'm still not exactly sure. Let's explore that question together.

I had three stressful, disheartening nightmares/dreams the other night. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't shake the feelings from the first two for a little while. I had to get up and get a drink of water to help wake up a bit more before I could fall back to sleep. Once I finally did fall back to sleep, another, slightly less intense, nightmare awaited me.

In the morning, I analyzed my dreams and the stress inherent in them. I could draw parallels between the content of my dreams and current life issues. Interestingly, theories about what defines the word “dream” and what their function or purpose is are controversial and insufficiently tested. Though the testing that has been done confirms that waking life and dreams are connected; not that most people need testing to confirm that. Think of the alarm clock making its way into your dream as a siren or a loud engine or an annoying person repeating themselves obnoxiously over and over and over until you just want to scream at them to stop....ahem. OK. I'm all right.

Whatever the purpose or function of dreams, however, they sure can be entertaining at times. Beyond that, according to Robert Van de Castle, dreams have sometimes changed the world! Rene Descartes' philosophy of dualism, Frederick Banting's discovery of insulin, Mohandas Ghandi's strategy of nonviolent protest, Marry Shelley's Frankenstein and Robert C Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde were all either inspired by or emerged out of dream experiences!

So, keep those notebooks and pens handy by your bedside! Who knows when one of YOUR dreams could change the world!



No comments:

Post a Comment