Friday, April 30, 2010

Focusing Mechanism

My focusing mechanism needs to be calibrated, or my forward thrust engines.

After working to bring my brain out of the future and center it squarely in the present, I've succumbed to the temptation to be stuck in fear that the present moment will never pass...I suppose it's another way of being stuck in the future.  There is a balance that must be struck between presence in the here and now and focus on the future.  I've struggled with "forest for the trees complex" enough to know it's not helpful to hyper focus on the here and now either, at least not in my opinion.

I've been searching for the state of mind that used to be readily within my grasp wherein I gave myself wholly to the real life, passing essentially unharmed through this old system.  Recently, this old world has had tar-pit-like strength and stickiness, distracting and sucking the life out of me.  My own sense of shame and guilt complicate the matter.  So, I submerge myself in reading, study and prayer.  Yet, my old friend, that flowing, beautiful focus on the real life, is not forthcoming.

Today, I rediscovered my focus in the awe inspiring gift from the faithful slave: the DVD The Wonders of Creation Reveal God's Glory.  It transported me back to my safe haven of sheltering faith and reliance on our Creator.

For this I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment